More Database Design Stuff

From: Jimmie Fulton <JFulton(at)ehso(dot)emory(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More Database Design Stuff
Date: 2001-08-02 20:23:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

This may seem like a newbie type of question: for what reason would you
need a multi-column primary key. None of the books that I have read explain
why or why not. It seems that the more normalized your database is, the
less need for multi-column primary keys. Are multi-column primary keys
considered bad form? I have never needed to use them, but I happen to use
auto-incrementing integer primary keys on all tables, as discussed earlier
this week. Any thoughts on this subject is appreciated.

Jimmie Fulton
Systems Administrator
Environmental Health & Safety Office
Emory University School Of Medicine