varchar as primary key

From: Matthew Hixson <hixson(at)poindextrose(dot)org>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: varchar as primary key
Date: 2007-05-03 15:58:32
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm investigating the usage of a UUID primary key generator using
Hibernate and Postgres. The reason for using a UUID is that we will
have an application hosted at different sites in different
databases. We will need to aggregate the data back into a single
database from time to time and we want to avoid PK collisions.
Is there a significant performance difference between using int
primary keys and string primary keys in Postgres?
Thanks,
-M@