Re: performace review

From: "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
To: "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performace review
Date: 2006-10-07 21:44:02
Lists: pgsql-general

It wouldn't surprise me if their bashing were correct, but I doubt that it's PostgreSQL's fault.

I download the db source (inside opencrx-1.9.1-core.postgresql-8.zip) and executed their three schema files, dbcreate-indexes.sql, dbcreate-views.sql, dbcreate-tables.sql. Each of the 118 tables has a three-field composite primary key of 'PRIMARY KEY (object_rid, object_oid, object_idx)'. object_rid and object_oid are both VARCHAR(200). There are *no* foreign key constraints. Each table has between 15 and 50 fields, with 25 looking about average.

Gee, why to table joins take so long? Maybe because a blind monkey created the schema? Normalized databases do tend to perform better, so I hear.

Brandon Aiken