Trigger vs web service

From: Marc-André Goderre <magoderre(at)cgq(dot)qc(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trigger vs web service
Date: 2011-04-05 12:16:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I receive a long string (about 1 per second) than content many information. For the moment it is directly inserted in the database (1 column).
I have to treat the hole string every time i need information in it.

Now, I want split the sting and save the informations in differents fields.
I have 2 solutions and would like to have your opinion on them.

1- Program a trigger function detecting the orginal insert, split the string and fill the other field.
2- Program a web service for receiving the string, split it and insert the informations in the db.

Witch is the fastest one (in performance).

Thanks

Marc-Andre Goderre
TI Analyst

--