Re: Question on PostgreSQL DB behavior w.r.t JOIN and sort order.

From: "Venkatesan, Sekhar" <sekhar(dot)venkatesan(at)emc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question on PostgreSQL DB behavior w.r.t JOIN and sort order.
Date: 2016-02-09 05:21:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Tom,

You can disregard the "TOP 10" modifier. That was added by me to bring down the huge number of results being returned.

Even without the TOP modifier, SQL server is returning rows in sorted order (sorting columns based on the r_object_id (1st) column I think) but PostgreSQL doesn't.

Is this anything to do with indexes?

So from what I understand, you say in postgres, if the sort order is not specified, postgres returns results in any order. Am I right?