is it cool to restart servers as preventive maintenance?

From: Kiriakos Georgiou <kg(dot)postgresql(at)olympiakos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: is it cool to restart servers as preventive maintenance?
Date: 2016-02-10 19:10:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Is it accepted practice to restart a production database on a regular basis (e.g.: once a month) ?

In the last 12 months I have noticed 3-4 instances of database flakiness that is cured by restarting.
I’ve been using PostgreSQL since 2007 and I haven’t seen such issues requiring a reboot, but on my current project we do some rather heavy duty PostGIS analysis that apparently stresses the system enough to occasionally cause this (that’s my theory anyway.) I’m beginning to seriously consider restarting servers on a monthly basis.

regards,
Kiriakos Georgiou