Transaction within plpgsql

From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker(at)cable(dot)comcast(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Transaction within plpgsql
Date: 2005-09-30 20:47:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am coding a procedure to purge data from a table. I want to commit the
data I'm purging at intervals (for example, every 1000 rows). The
problem I'm encountering is that when I have

begin transaction;
commit;

statements in my plpgsql function it doesn't compile.

How can you explicitly create transactions within a plpgsql function?

Thanks,

Jed.