Re: One long transaction or multiple short transactions?

From: "Graeme B(dot) Bell" <graeme(dot)bell(at)nibio(dot)no>
To: Carlo <reg01(at)stonebanks(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One long transaction or multiple short transactions?
Date: 2015-10-08 08:54:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sounds like a locking problem, but assuming you aren’t sherlock holmes and simply want to get the thing working as soon as possible:

Stick a fast SSD in there (whether you stay on VM or physical). If you have enough I/O, you may be able to solve the problem with brute force.
SSDs are a lot cheaper than your time.

Suggest you forward this to your operators: a talk I have about optimising multi-threaded work in postgres:

http://graemebell.net/foss4gcomo.pdf (Slides: “Input/Output” in the middle of the talk and also the slides at the end labelled “For Techies")

Graeme Bell

p.s. You mentioned a VM. Consider making the machine physical and not VM. You’ll get a performance boost and remove the risk of DB corruption from untrustworthy VM fsyncs. One day there will be a power cut or O/S crash during these your writes and with a VM you’ve a reasonable chance of nuking your DB because VM virtualised storage often doesn’t honour fsync (for performance reasons), but it’s fundamental to correct operation of PG.