Re: BIG installations of PostgresQL?

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BIG installations of PostgresQL?
Date: 2005-09-20 14:13:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:25 PM, Logan Bowers wrote:

> Many of the other folks at the company feel an open-source DB is
> more risky because it is less well tested compared to commercial
> counterparts. I’m looking for examples of large installations of
> Postgres with huge data sets, high traffic volumes, high update
> rates, etc, particularly large, recognizable names. I know you
> guys get this question a lot, but can anyone share experiences with
> using Postgres in large settings with huge query rates,
> replication, etc? Any stories you guys can share (in public or
> private) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Every so often on the slony (Postgres replication) list, a fellow
from Skype pops up. I suspect they use postgres under high volume,
huge dataset situation...

Also, do a "whois slony.info" or any *.info domain and you hit a
replicated postgres database. The entire .info (and now .org) domain
registries are stored on postgres.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806