Trigger functions

From: Marc Drouin <marc(dot)drouin(at)fondex(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trigger functions
Date: 2003-04-01 15:12:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi group,

I managed to set up a trigger function and trigger in my database. At this
time its very rudimentary but I find that it seems to slow down the insert
procees quite a bit. I'm new to postgresql and database servers in general
so i'm not sure wheter this is normal or not.

The function is triggered on insert and is supposed to fill a field in the
table based on three other fields of the same table (ex: field D = Field A X
Field B X Field C). The addition of the trigger to teh table has slowed
down the insert procedd considerably. It takes approximatly two second for
a simple insert.

Can someone help me with that.

Like I said i'm new to all this so please be indulgent.

Marc