Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Michael Paquier" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Adrian Klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster
Date: 2020-05-25 05:47:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

>>> No. Physical copies need to be based on the same platform.
>> Does the O/S that the client software runs on really affect this?
>To the extent that the O/S determines text sort order, yes; see thread.
>The short answer here is that we aren't going to support such cases.
>If you try to replicate across platforms, and it works, you're in luck.
>If it doesn't work, you get to keep both pieces; we will not accept
>that as a bug.

In 2017 Peter wrote that ICU-based collations will offered alongside the libc-based collations (1)
Currently it still requires re-compilation of Postgres for all binary replication platforms.
Maybe ICU locale will selected during installation automatically in Postgres 13 . Using same ICU locale in all replication platforms
will hopefully fix the issue.

Currently option is to use ucs_basic as default collation when creating cluster.

(1) https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/icu-support-postgresql-10/

Andrus.