Re: Does Type Have = Operator?

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does Type Have = Operator?
Date: 2016-05-12 00:05:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 11, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm not clear enough on your intended usage to know whether these
> operators are a good fit, but they are sitting there waiting to be
> used if they do fit.

Huh. I haven’t had any problems with IS DISTINCT FROM for rows, except for the situation in which a failure is thrown because the types vary, say between TEXT and CITEXT. That can drive the tester crazy, since it says something like:

Results differ beginning at row 3:
have: (44,Anna)
want: (44,Anna)

But overall I think that’s okay; the tester really does want to make sure the type is correct.

Thanks,

David