on update restrict

From: "Mister ics" <mister_ics(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: on update restrict
Date: 2001-08-14 11:33:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm a little confused by the "on update restrict" option in a referential
integrity constraint. I don't know if i have not understood the meaning of
this statement or it does not work properly.
I think that if it is specified ON UPDATE RESTRICT in a foreign key
costraint, the sql-server should not perform updates on the referenced rows.
Here an example:

testdb=>create table t1 (
id int primary key,
foo int);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 't1_pkey' for
table 't1'
CREATE

testdb=>create table t2 (
id int primary key,
ref int references t1(id) on update restrict);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 't2_pkey' for
table 't2'
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
check(s)
CREATE

testdb=>insert into t1 values (1,3000);
INSERT 19116 1
testdb=>insert into t2 values (1,1);
INSERT 19117 1

testdb=> update t1 set foo=2900 where id=1;
UPDATE 1 <--- for me is wrong, we have updated a row referenced by t2
with ON UPDATE RESTRICT OPTION

What do you think about ?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Silvio

Scarica GRATUITAMENTE MSN Explorer all'indirizzo
http://explorer.msn.it/intl.asp