Re: UTF8 frustrations

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: jesse(dot)waters(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 frustrations
Date: 2007-09-04 20:01:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sep 4, 2007, at 14:48 , jesse(dot)waters(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Trying to do pg_restore from one UTF8 encoded db to another UTF8
> encoded db
> DB_source:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
> psql 8.2.4
>
> DB Destination:
> Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
> psql 8.1.9

> UTF8 to UTF8 and everything in between is UTF8, and it still fails,
> I'm tempted to delete this record and keep going but I'm determined
> to find a solution.

(1) PostgreSQL does not support dump and restore from a new version
of PostgreSQL to an older version.

(2) There were changes to UTF8 handling between 8.1 and 8.2. I'm a
bit surprised you get an error like this as 8.1 is more lax than 8.2:
it accepts some invalid sequences as valid.

If you're really determined to do this, I recommend editing the dump
file by hand to remove or edit this record so it does not contain the
invalid sequence (as you've suggested).

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net