Re: Prepared Statements

From: Darin Ohashi <DOhashi(at)maplesoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc-list <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepared Statements
Date: 2003-07-18 18:55:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

If I could throw in a question from the sidelines...

Is this something that a PreparedStatement should be able to handle, in general?

> select * from sometable where x in ?;
> setObject (1, "(1,2,3,4,5)", Types.INTEGER);

With a PreparedStatement that gets precompiled, will a substitution like this
work? Do other JDBC drivers support this kind of substitution?

It looks like you are exploiting a bug (or perhaps an out of spec behaviour) in
the JDBC. If that is the case, then I don't have much sympathy for you losing
this functionality.

Instead of creating your own driver, why not just subclass Statement into
something that looks like a PreparedStatement but just glues strings together?
That sounds like what you want anyway. It also seems like a much eaiser task,
especially for long term maintainance.

Darin