Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date: 2007-10-09 23:35:52
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Oct 9, 2007, at 0:06 , Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am surprised we are not backing
> out the patch and requiring that the patch go through the formal
> review
> process.

I have no opinion as to the patch itself (other than the fact that
it's a not bug fix), but I think this patch should be reverted
because it's (a) after feature freeze, (b) had no discussion on
hackers (or patches), (c) is not a bug fix. IMO rules can be bent but
there should always at least be discussion before a new feature is
committed after feature freeze and definitely after beta. Otherwise,
the rule appears to be if you can get it in somehow, it's in.

Again, I have no opinion regarding the patch itself, and these issues
are regardless of who commits or submits. Personally, I regard Jan as
a helpful guy and a solid coder who has contributed a lot to
PostgreSQL in the past and I'm sure will contribute even more in the
future.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net