Re: [SQL] 2 million+ entries

From: Moray McConnachie <Moray(dot)McConnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] 2 million+ entries
Date: 1999-08-24 08:06:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Michael Richards wrote:
>

> >I'd suggest using a *BSD, ie FreeBSD, as it's filsystem performance is
> >much better than something like ext2.

People that ought to know tell me:

"No. I don't think even the *BSD advocates claim that *BSD
beats Linux on large boxes (i.e. SMP and plenty of memory).
The only places I can think of off-hand where *BSD advocates
can argue even the possibility for better performance
against Linux are
(1) when heavy swapping is going on (which means the box was
badly balanced when bought especially if it's a compute
server) and
(2) certain unusual network uses (due to design differences and
historical curiosities). There are some functionality differences
between *BSD and Linux but that's a different issue."

However, we were talking about 2 GB plus of memory here...

Moray(dot)McConnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk