RE: Delete coloumn

From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
To: "Suhadi" <suhadi(at)indosatcom(dot)net>, "SQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Delete coloumn
Date: 2001-08-07 04:35:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to delete a column in a table in
PostgreSQL.
The standard SQL syntax is:

ALTER TABLE tablename DROP COLUMN columnname;

But I repeat, this is NOT supported in postgresql.

If you really need to delete a column you can always just create a new
table with an identical definition but WITHOUT the offending column, and
then
SELECT INTO it. Example:

CREATE TABLE sample (
id INTEGER,
data TEXT,
badcolumn DATE );

Now to delete the bad column table:

CREATE TABLE sample_copy (
id INTEGER,
data TEXT);

and then copy it all over:

SELECT id,data INTO sample_copy FROM sample;

and then you can DROP TABLE sample;

If you need the original table name, repeat the process of
creating a new table now and copying the data over.

Hope that helps!

-Robby Slaughter