RE: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date: 2000-11-07 22:17:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Isn't "relation NNN modified while in use" itself coming from heap_
open(r) 's LockRelation_after_allocate sequence ?
Or from a rd_refcnt leak,of cource.
I'm thinking that RelationCacheInvalidate() should ignore relations
which are while in use. IMHO allocate_after_lock sequence is
needed for heap_open(r).

> The
> main trick here is to make sure that the first lock grabbed is adequate
> --- for example, it won't do to grab AccessShareLock and then have to
> raise that to AccessExclusiveLock, because there will be a deadlock if
> two backends do this concurrently.

I object to you if it also includes parse_rewrite_plan stage.
If there's a long transation it would also hold a AccessShareLock
on system tables for a long time. Then vacuum for system tables
would be blocked. Other transactions would be blocked......

Regards.
Hiroshi Inoue