Re: archive modules

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: archive modules
Date: 2021-11-02 16:10:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/2/21, 8:57 AM, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
>> Well, the current patch does require a reload since the modules are
>> preloaded, but maybe there is some way to avoid that.
>
> I think we could set things up so that if the value changes, you call
> a shutdown hook for the old library, load the new one, and call any
> startup hook for that one.

Yes, that seems doable. My point is that I've intentionally chosen to
preload the libraries at the moment so that it's possible to define
PGC_POSTMASTER GUCs and to use RegisterBackgroundWorker(). If we
think that switching archive modules without restarting is more
important, I believe we will need to take on a few restrictions.

Nathan