Pg_hba not using local setting

From: James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pg_hba not using local setting
Date: 2003-03-14 16:22:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Running version 7.1, have the following entry in PG_HBA.CONF:
---
Local all trust
Host all 123.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
password
---

With that setting, anyone can login to the database [via our web based
interface]
WITHOUT a valid password. If I change local from trust to password then web
based users have to enter their specific password to login to the database.
But none of the backup scripts run because postgres needs a password.

Is this a bug, or do I have a misunderstanding of the local use?

Thanks,
-jim