using PGPASSWORD environment variable

From: James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using PGPASSWORD environment variable
Date: 2003-02-20 20:54:28
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying to write a [perl] script to automate database backups. PG
requests the password every time I connect to a database. It was suggested
that I "use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute
pg_dumpall".

I have not been able to find any examples to show how to use the PGPASSWORD
variable in a script.

Can someone please post an example or 2?

TIA,
-jim