RE: SQLSTATE when PostgreSQL crashes during COMMIT statement

From: "Takahashi, Ryohei" <r(dot)takahashi_2(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: 'Andreas Kretschmer' <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>, 'Francisco Olarte' <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
Subject: RE: SQLSTATE when PostgreSQL crashes during COMMIT statement
Date: 2019-04-16 04:44:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Francisco and Andreas,

Thank you for your reply.

> So, if the library gives you an error ( "I have not received the commit
> confirmation" , not something like "commit failed" ), you will still
> need to test the data, if you can, to know how the server come back up.

Yes.
I want to know what error does library give to the application on such case.
I supposed it is certain SQLSTATE.

> since pg10 you can use check the status of a transaction, here is a
> explanation:
> https://blog.2ndquadrant.com/postgresql-10-transaction-traceability/

Thank you for the information.
According to the page and the PostgreSQL documentation of txid_status(),
the application should look up the transaction's completion status when the connection is lost,
not when certain SQLSTATE is given, right?

Regards,
Ryohei Takahashi