Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network

From: scott ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Nagy László Zsolt <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
Cc: Rui DeSousa <rui(dot)desousa(at)icloud(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliable WAL file shipping over unreliable network
Date: 2018-02-28 19:11:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Feb 28, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Nagy László Zsolt <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com> wrote:

> There is a --temp-dir option that suggests that data is written to temporary files first. But that is only a suggestion. I don't see anything explicit about writting data to temporary files and renaming them once they are complete.

Seems hard to me to make it more clear:

-T, --temp-dir=DIR
This option instructs rsync to use DIR as a scratch directory
when creating temporary copies of the files transferred on the
receiving side. The default behavior is to create each tempo-
rary file in the same directory as the associated destination
file.

And:

--delay-updates
This option puts the temporary file from each updated file into
a holding directory until the end of the transfer, at which time
all the files are renamed into place in rapid succession. This
attempts to make the updating of the files a little more atomic.
By default the files are placed into a directory named ".~tmp~"
in each file's destination directory, but if you've specified
the --partial-dir option, that directory will be used instead.
See the comments in the --partial-dir section for a discussion
of how this ".~tmp~" dir will be excluded from the transfer, and
what you can do if you wnat rsync to cleanup old ".~tmp~" dirs
that might be lying around. Conflicts with --inplace and
--append.

--
Scott Ribe
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottribe/