Re: Version/Change Management of functions?

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version/Change Management of functions?
Date: 2006-07-07 20:08:08
Lists: pgsql-general

--On July 7, 2006 12:35:53 PM +0000 Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
wrote:

># mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com / 2006-07-06 22:41:27 -0600:
>> OK I know this is an odd question but I'm working on an app that will
>> rely more and more on database driven functions, and while the app's
>> source is in SVN, and I intend for the source of the SQL scripts to
>> also be there, I was wondering...what are people doing for version
>> control and change management on their custom (esp PL/pgSQL and say
>> PL/Perl) functions?
>
> Well, "people" use a version control system.
>
> Do you have any specific questions?

Yes, how exactly do you use it. Since there's no way to directly control
whats in the DB via a VCS, further, how do you verify that what is in the
DB is also in the VCS, etc? (I'm intentionally asking a bit of a 'dumb'
question because I really want to find out exactly what others are doing).