Re: Could not resolve host name error in psycopg2

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: derwin theduck <hotchipsveg(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Could not resolve host name error in psycopg2
Date: 2020-04-17 07:02:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Adrian,

> On 17. Apr, 2020, at 03:00, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Huh? Leaving open connections is not considered a good thing. In other words a connection should last for as long as it takes to get it's task done and then it should close.

I basically agree on this, but there are two big "but"s:

- recurring monitoring connections flood the logs unless they connect and never disconnect again.

- applications with hundreds or thousands of users may flood the logs, even though a pool may be used. If said pool doesn't keep its connections open most of the time you will notice that the database cluster is very busy logging connections.

Do you really want that?

Cheers,
Paul