Re: postgres hit url?

From: Julie Goldberg <julie(at)empowerengine(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tony Alderman <tonyalderman(at)gmail(dot)com>, "seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres hit url?
Date: 2014-04-26 01:00:32
Lists: seapug

On Apr 25, 2014, at 5:33 PM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> On 04/25/2014 05:25 PM, Julie Goldberg wrote:
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Tony's github link looks great. We recently migrated to Amazon RDS for
>> our database server, so we can dynamically resize and use their backup
>> procedures. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't give you shell access to the
>> db server, so we can't install stuff like that.
>>

> How is this working for you? Is it performant at all? Can you provide any metrics in terms of tx/s?

The RDS boxes still need you to tune them. The defaults are better than those if you just install postgres, but they're not good enough. Since you don't have the command-line, you can't run pg_tune, but you can bring up a similar box, run it there, and then install them on your RDS box.

I can't give specific metrics, but I can say anecdotally that a postgis query that took 48 hours on our old DigitalOcean box with 8GB RAM took only a half hour on the Amazon xlarge box (which is much more powerful). It is about double the price of DigitalOcean for a machine with the same amount of RAM, but we can size the RAM and hard drive separately, and space is dirt cheap. We were upgrading the server there simply to increase our hard-drive space, and we're going to need a lot more space soon.

RDS automatically handles back-ups and give you point in time recovery. Managing that ourselves was a hassle, so it was nice to get it off our plate.

It's also very nice that you can grow or shrink the database server without taking down the machine at all. I've grown my server to run some expensive geospatial queries, and when they finish, I'll just scale it back down to what we need for the web server.

The drawback is that I don't have shell access to my database server. I can't install Tony's github. I can use pl/perl but not pl/python or plperl/u.

I am using postgis and the tiger geocoder. They work great. I am running Postgres 9.3 and Postgis 2.1.

Julie