Re: Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman or similar?

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening(at)am-soft(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does anyone backup directly on Synology NAS using Barman or similar?
Date: 2019-07-08 18:14:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Jul 8, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Thorsten Schöning <tschoening(at)am-soft(dot)de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Recently things have changed a bit additionally, since we are backing
> Postgres up directly on a Synology NAS onto that NAS now. So there's
> no additional fully blown Linux/Windows host copying things to some
> share or stuff, but instead the NAS itself executes scripts taking
> care of pg_start_backup, copying things around etc. simply using SSH.

What is PostgreSQL disk topology -- file system, local storage or using the NAS? Have you looked into snapshots?

> I already read that the exclusive backups we take now are deprecated
> anyway[1] and that shared backups need an open session during the time
> of the backup, which makes custom scripts additionally difficult.

Here’s an example of a bash script using a pipe to issue the non exclusive start/stop backup command:

https://www.commandprompt.com/blog/postgresql-non-exclusive-base-Backup-bash/ <https://www.commandprompt.com/blog/postgresql-non-exclusive-base-Backup-bash/>