Re: BUG #18547: bemused by your unhelpful installation guides

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: nwpnow(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18547: bemused by your unhelpful installation guides
Date: 2024-07-21 16:52:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Jul 20, 2024, at 15:12, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> Hi I am beyond critical of your documentation
> My research suggested that Postgresql would install on TRUENAS core see
> https://github.com/stualden/postgresql-misc/blob/main/install_postgres_on_truenas.md
>
> When I step through it features claimed in the git hub text are inaccurate
> for release 16.3 - the users and user group are NOT created automatically
> by the pkg install

I'm sure this is frustrating, but this bug reporting form is probably not the right place to bring up the issues. The guide you describe is an individual's github page, not something that is maintained by the PostgreSQL development community. TrueNAS isn't one of the standard PostgreSQL platforms. That doesn't mean PostgreSQL *won't* run on it, but there isn't the expertise here required to get those instructions to work.

It's not even clear from a quick read of their documentation what the underlying OS for TrueNAS is (both Linux and FreeBSD are mentioned).

If you are following those instructions and they do not appear to work, probably the best answer is to open an issue on that GitHub repo. TrueNAS might also have support forums that could be useful.