RE: Extremely slow autovacuum:vacuum to prevent wraparound

From: Steven Winfield <Steven(dot)Winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com>
To: "rjo_roy(at)yahoo(dot)com" <rjo_roy(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Extremely slow autovacuum:vacuum to prevent wraparound
Date: 2018-07-11 14:00:00
Lists: pgsql-general

From: Rijo Roy [mailto:rjo_roy(at)yahoo(dot)com]
Sent: 11 July 2018 14:30
To: srkrishna(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org

No, I have 3 sessions of autovacuum against 3 tables which is doing a Vacuum to prevent wraparound as it hit the limit of autovacuum_freeze_max_age of 2 billion.
I also have a vaccumdb session which is invoked by me on these tables which is currently in paused state. So, I want to know whether I can kill the autivacuum sessions which is running since 5 days and extremely slow and just run a manual vacuum against these tables instead.

Is your autovacuum_freeze_max_age really set to 2 billion? The default value is 200 million. Setting it that high and disabling autovacuum isn’t just silly - it borders on sabotage!
I’ve used pg_cancel_backend() (NOT pg_terminate_backend()) on autovacuum jobs before without issue.

Good luck!

Steve.