Re: is JIT available

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt(at)burggraben(dot)net>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: is JIT available
Date: 2020-07-28 12:26:31
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Jul 27, 2020, at 6:04 PM, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> "returns true if jit is enabled and JIT compilation is available in
> this session (see Chapter 31)."

That is clearer. I didn't submit a suggestion myself because I'm not clear on the actual circumstances. I know it won't be available if:

- jit is not on in config
- PG was not compiled with JIT support

But does compilation with JIT enable and LLVM dev tools mean that all the LLVM compilation/optimization is built into the PG binaries, or does it require LLVM presence on the machine where deployed? And if so, does the function take that into account as well?

I would guess the function is telling the truth under all circumstances, but I don't know for sure.

Perhaps: "returns true if JIT (see Chapter 31) is available in this session. Availability of JIT requires that PG was compiled with JIT support, JIT is enabled in config, <blah blah blah is installed???>.