Easiest way to CREATE EXTENSION when upgrading from 9.0 to 9.2?

From: Joshua Boyd <JBoyd(at)nxsystemsinc(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Easiest way to CREATE EXTENSION when upgrading from 9.0 to 9.2?
Date: 2013-11-22 20:52:46
Lists: pgsql-general

We have a pre-production environment that was running postgresql 9.0 and we created the extension "pgcrypto" in it by feeding psql the contrib/pgcrypto.sql .. We just upgraded to 9.2 (via pg_upgrade) - naturally all the functions still exist, but pgcrypto is not a registered extension with the database, nor is it the most recent sql for the extension. What would be the easiest way to both register and upgrade to the most recent version of pgcrypto in our new version? Or is running a rollback script to remove all of those and then running CREATE EXTENSION our only option?

Thanks,
Josh