High Availability PostgreSQL HOWTO article

From: "Eric Comeau" <eric(dot)comeau(at)signiant(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: High Availability PostgreSQL HOWTO article
Date: 2002-08-02 19:36:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Has anyone implemented the HA solution linked
<http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html ) linked> on the PostgreSQL
Technical Documentation Web site?

http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html
<http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html>

I have read through the article, but one concern I have is that I don't
see how this is any different than performing a "File system level
backup".

In the PostgreSQL 7.2 Administrator's Guide, under the Backup and
Restore Chapter (9) - they mention the restriction that the database
"must" be shut down in order to get a usable backup.

How is taking Rsync copies ever 5 or 10 minutes any different than
taking a file system backup without shutting the database down?

Eric Comeau