Clearing locks

From: Edwin New <edwin_new(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Clearing locks
Date: 2005-03-22 04:35:53
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using postgreSQL version 8 on Solaris 9.

I have encountered a situation where a java process is dying but leaving
locks active. When I restart the process, it gets a new connection, but
can't proceed as the previous lock is still active.

How can I, as DBA, clear a lock / roll back an incomplete transaction
without access to the connection that created the lock? All I've been able
to do is a complete stop/start of the database, but that is obviously
sub-optimal.

Thanks,
Edwin New
Software Developer
Toll - Integrated Business Systems
43 - 63 Princes Highway,
Doveton, VIC. 3175
Ph: 03 8710 0858
Fax: 03 9793 3970
Mobile: 0417 341 074
Email: <mailto:edwin_new(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au> edwin_new(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au
"This message is written in FORTRAN until you look at it."