Re: SQL Technique Question

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL Technique Question
Date: 2006-06-15 22:34:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

[Please quote responsibly. There was no need to quote my entire
message back to the list.]

On Jun 16, 2006, at 7:15 , <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> i need to become mor familiar with views. if i use
> views, will i substantially impair performance?

Short answer: maybe, maybe not

Long answer: benchmark and compare. EXPLAIN ANALYZE is your friend.
For example, compare the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output using the view and
using the whole, explicit query. You'll learn a lot that will only
help you write better queries.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net