pgsql: Remove incorrect Assert.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Remove incorrect Assert.
Date: 2024-09-11 15:42:55
Lists: pgsql-committers

Remove incorrect Assert.

check_agglevels_and_constraints() asserted that if we find an
aggregate function in an EXPR_KIND_FROM_SUBSELECT expression, the
expression must be in a LATERAL subquery. Alexander Lakhin found a
case where that's not so: because of the odd scoping rules for NEW/OLD
within a rule, a reference to NEW/OLD could cause an aggregate to be
considered top-level even though it's in an unmarked sub-select.
The error message that would be thrown seems sufficiently on-point,
so just remove the Assert. (Hence, this is not a bug for production
builds.)

This Assert was added by me in commit eaccfded9 (9.3 era). It looks
like I put it in to cross-check that the new logic for detecting
misplaced aggregates (using agglevelsup) caught the same cases that a
previous check on p_lateral_active did. So there might have been some
related misbehavior before eaccfded9 ... but that's very ancient
history by now, so I didn't dig any deeper.

Per bug #18608 from Alexander Lakhin. Back-patch to all supported
branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/18608-48de0717508ee429@postgresql.org

Branch
------