pgsql: Optimize vacuuming of relations with no indexes.

From: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Optimize vacuuming of relations with no indexes.
Date: 2024-01-18 15:09:22
Lists: pgsql-committers

Optimize vacuuming of relations with no indexes.

If there are no indexes on a relation, items can be marked LP_UNUSED
instead of LP_DEAD when pruning. This significantly reduces WAL
volume, since we no longer need to emit one WAL record for pruning
and a second to change the LP_DEAD line pointers thus created to
LP_UNUSED.

Melanie Plageman, reviewed by Andres Freund, Peter Geoghegan, and me

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAAKRu_bgvb_k0gKOXWzNKWHt560R0smrGe3E8zewKPs8fiMKkw%40mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master