pgsql: Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications.
Date: 2014-07-22 02:42:05
Lists: pgsql-committers

Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications.

In commit 631dc390f49909a5c8ebd6002cfb2bcee5415a9d, we started to handle
simple numeric timezone offsets via the zic library instead of the old
CTimeZone/HasCTZSet kluge. However, we overlooked the fact that the zic
code will reject UTC offsets exceeding a week (which seems a bit arbitrary,
but not because it's too tight ...). This led to possibly setting
session_timezone to NULL, which results in crashes in most timezone-related
operations as of 9.4, and crashes in a small number of places even before
that. So check for NULL return from pg_tzset_offset() and report an
appropriate error message. Per bug #11014 from Duncan Gillis.

Back-patch to all supported branches, like the previous patch.
(Unfortunately, as of today that no longer includes 8.4.)

Branch
------
REL9_1_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/124331b61dc8cc1afe92bde0ca3156e2b0837905

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/variable.c | 7 +++++++
src/timezone/pgtz.c | 3 +++
2 files changed, 10 insertions(+)