BUG #8687: HashAggregate runs out of memory

From: peters(at)mitre(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #8687: HashAggregate runs out of memory
Date: 2013-12-20 03:09:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 8687
Logged by: Peter Sylvester
Email address: peters(at)mitre(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
Operating system: CENTOS6

I have a query which causes out of memory conditions with a HashAggregate
plan.

The query involves a join between a 10M row table and a 1K row table,
work_mem=300MB, process space goes over 6GB then machine runs out of memory
and swap and the OS kills the back end process.

I have a test script which I can upload to recreate the issue.