BUG #8589: compression is "skipped" for pg_dump custom format when piped in python

From: tom(dot)ty89(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #8589: compression is "skipped" for pg_dump custom format when piped in python
Date: 2013-11-11 18:54:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 8589
Logged by: Tom Yan
Email address: tom(dot)ty89(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.4
Operating system: Windows 7 x64

What I do is to pipe pg_dump -Fc to python's subprocess stdout.
The dump file I got is still usable with pg_restore, just it's not
compressed. It doesn't work even if I add -Z option manually.
And this is likely not a python's issue since the I can have compression
with -Z if I choose to export plain sql.