BUG #8182: Database name duplicate in one postgres instance

From: sachinthana(dot)anuradha(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #8182: Database name duplicate in one postgres instance
Date: 2013-05-28 05:10:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 8182
Logged by: Sachinthana Rajapaksha
Email address: sachinthana(dot)anuradha(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system: redhat

Hi,

We are having a problem with postgres database version 8.0.14. This is a
production data base and suddenly it has created a database under the same
name in one postgres instance.

List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
--------------------+----------+----------
monitor_cacti | Monitor | UNICODE
template0 | postgres | UNICODE
template1 | postgres | UNICODE
*_live | xxx | UNICODE
*_live | xxx | UNICODE
(5 rows)

once we checked the datfrozenxid and datvacuumxid it show like this.

oid | datname | datdba | encoding | datistemplate |
datallowconn | datlastsysoid | datvacuumxid | datfrozenxid | dattablespace |
datconfig | datacl
-----------+--------------------+--------+----------+---------------+--------------+---------------+--------------+--------------+---------------+-----------+------------------------
18580764 | *_live | 100 | 6 | f | t
| 17228 | 482 | 482 | 1663 | |

95000657 | monitor_cacti | 101 | 6 | f | t
| 17228 | 482 | 482 | 1663 |

1 | template1 | 1 | 6 | t | t
| 17228 | 482 | 482 | 1663 | |
{postgres=CT/postgres}
17229 | template0 | 1 | 6 | t | f
| 17228 | 482 | 482 | 1663 |
| {postgres=CT/postgres}
116382901 |*_live | 100 | 6 | f | t
| 17228 | 3261314675 | 3261314675 | 1663 |

(5 rows)

one of the duplicated database show very large value and other shoe 482.

We cannot take the backups since it duplicate the databases.

I need to know about these.

1. If I get the data folder copied and paste that to a other postgres
instance can I restore the database?

2. why this kind of duplicate happens and is there workaround to solve this
issue?

3. why datfrozenxid and datvacuumxid shows large valuse?

Since this is a production database appriciate early feedback.

Thanks
Sachinthana