Re: in-date news items

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)de>, "pgsql-sql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: in-date news items
Date: 2002-03-12 17:19:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 1:25 pm, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 March 2002 13:17, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to use a select to get the latest item of news, provided that
> > it's within the last X days. What do I need to add to the where clause
> > for the select statement below:
> >
> > select ndate, nauthor, nheading
> > from news
> > order by ndate desc
> > limit 1
> > *** where ndate within the last 3 months ******
> > ;
>
> something like:
>
> where ndate > current_timestamp - interval '3 months'
>
> more on the subject here:
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/faqdatesintervals.php
>
> Ian Barwick

Thanks for that Ian, worked a treat. However, can someone tell me why

select n.ntimestamp, n.nmid from news n where n.ntimestamp > current_time -
interval '5 minutes';

works while

select n.ntimestamp, n.nmid, m.mfname, m.mlname
from news n, members m
order by ntimestamp desc
limit 1
where (n.nmid = m.mid) and
(n.ntimestamp > current_time - interval '5 minutes');

has a parse error at or near "where"
--
Gary Stainburn