Re: [HACKERS] initdb / pg_version

From: "Patrick Welche" <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb / pg_version
Date: 1999-12-15 17:42:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> The dependency on a phony submake target is the problem;
> need to put in real dependencies for version.o instead.
> Might be easier if version.c were removed from .../utils
> and put in bin/pg_version.

Agreed, though not sure what is best. utils/version.c defines

ValidatePgVersion
SetPgVersion

exported in include/version.h. The only source files which reference them
are:

backend/postmaster/postmaster.c uses ValidatePgVersion
bin/pg_version/pg_version.c uses SetPgVersion
backend/utils/init/postinit.c uses ValidatePgVersion

Now, postmaster and postinit don't have the same problem as pg_version
as they both link against SUBSYS.o rather than version.o. I also note that
there are lots of mentions of version.o in backend/Makefile that I don't
follow.

Cheers,

Patrick