multibyte/locale configure options

From: "Patrick Welche" <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: multibyte/locale configure options
Date: 1999-10-04 13:57:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I was about to send the following when I discovered the appropriately
named doc/README.Charsets - may I suggest making a link to this useful
page from doc/src/sgml/config.sgml?

Cheers,

Patrick

What do the following configure options do?

--enable-locale enable locale support
--enable-recode enable cyrillic recode support
--with-mb=<encoding> enable multi-byte support

Guess: Does locale only change whether a decimal point or comma is used?
(datestyle comes straight from set datestyle => has nothing to do with it,
and numeric or decimal should be replacing money)

Can I use different encodings for columns without using multi-byte support
if the encodings are just different single-byte encodings, ie., no unicode?