identifying local connections

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: postgresql Forums <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: identifying local connections
Date: 2010-11-15 15:34:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Assume I have a local process which leaves a transaction open & idle for an extended period of time. Is there any way to identify the local process connected to a particular backend?

pg_stat_activity is fine for TCP connections but does not provide useful identifying information for domain socket connections.

I just upgraded to 9, and will implement set application_name in my various server daemons, but was wondering if there's a way to identify this process right now.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com