Re: autovacuum_freeze_max_age on append-only tables

From: Senor <frio_cervesa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum_freeze_max_age on append-only tables
Date: 2022-04-22 03:14:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you both Laurenz and Peter.

Laurenz - It was an article you posted a couple years ago introducing
the V13 feature that got me thinking about the insert-only situation I had.

Peter - I had been improperly holding anti-wraparound and aggressive in
my mind as related in a way they are not. You cleared that up.

2 last questions (maybe):

Are the autovacuum_vacuum_cost_* settings handled any differently for
'to avoid wraparound' vacuums? I understand that it won't give up a lock
but I was expecting it to still back off due to cost and allow the query
with conflicting lock to proceed.

Is there any benefit to manually running a vacuum every so many inserts
as opposed to using autovacuum_freeze_max_age. And in this case should
it be a vacuum freeze. Rows are never updated or deleted except for the
occasional roll back due to dropped network connections.

Thanks again

-Senor