WAL on zfs Settings

From: Stephen Froehlich <s(dot)froehlich(at)cablelabs(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WAL on zfs Settings
Date: 2019-01-04 13:24:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am rebuilding my database server, and one of the novice mistakes I made the first time around is not creating distinct zfs filesystems for different tablespaces and of course the WAL. The database is for analysis work, which often means large data load-ins. (Backups are purely occasional pg_dumps.)

My question is what are the optimal zfs settings for the WAL filesystem (block size, who does compression, etc.)? The underlying hardware will be 3 NVME SSDs in a raidz configuration. (I do already know that I can turn off full_page_writes for WAL on zfs.)

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Froehlich
Sr. Strategist, CableLabs(r)

s(dot)froehlich(at)cablelabs(dot)com<mailto:s(dot)froehlich(at)cablelabs(dot)com>
Tel: +1 (303) 661-3708