large database on postgres

From: "Tony Carter" <tony(at)iat(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: large database on postgres
Date: 2002-06-13 22:20:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I have one application that I'm trying to move the db to pgsql. The db
contains around 15 million rows of data. I'm running into 10 second delays
when doing a simple select on an index column.

My test box is Linux 1ghz Celeron 25MB Ram, 7200rpm IDE drive. I know I
need SCSI but is there any tuning I can do to speed this up?

-Tony