restored over postgres database

From: "Kevin Duffy" <KD(at)wrinvestments(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: restored over postgres database
Date: 2008-12-03 16:38:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello:

On a newly installed PostgreSQL server I made the mistake of restoring
over the postgres database.

Which I made me feel very silly and brought up a couple of questions.

a) What is the postgres database used for?

b) How can I restore the postgres database to a pristine state?

Regarding restoring postgres databse to a pristine state I attempted to
restore, from within PGAdmin, the

postgres for a different server but that did not work.

Attempted to do a DROP DATABASE from within psql, but that did not work
either. The database did not drop and no error message was produced.

Strange.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Kevin Duffy