Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, tender wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Date: 2024-02-04 17:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 4 Feb 2024, at 18:38, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
>
> In other words, these barriers are fully useless.

+1. I've tried to understand ideas behind barriers, but latest_page_number is heuristics that does not need any guarantees at all. It's also is used in safety check which can fire only when everything is already broken beyond any repair.. (Though using atomic access seems a good idea anyway)

This patch uses wording "banks" in comments before banks start to exist. But as far as I understand, it is expected to be committed before "banks" patch.

Besides this patch looks good to me.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.